Assistant Finance Officer
Assistant Finance Officer
The Assistant Finance Officer position has overall responsibility for the accounts payable for the City of Brandon. This individual provides the backup to the Finance Officer and will assist in processing accounts receivable and accounts payable, reconciling accounts and preparing financial reports. This person also assists in tracking and maintaining current and accurate listing of fixed assets, and handles other administrative functions, as well.
What you get to do!
- Prepare invoices and statements for payment: match invoices to purchase orders; verify information; complete vouchers; gather approvals; resolve discrepancies; prepare claims list for Council approval
- Prepare and process checks/EFT for distribution: verify payment amounts; print; stuff and mail
- Maintain accurate and current vendor information: communicate as needed with vendors to facilitate payments receive information; maintain positive relationships
- Maintain effective communications with co-workers to facilitate needed information and approval
- Backup Finance Officer in Processing accounts receivables, and make daily entries into general ledger
- Reconcile and balance deposits of golf course, swimming pool, summer recreation, etc.
- Assist in tracking revolving loan funds; make sure all entries are posted for payments; post all payments received
- Assist in Calculating sales tax payments; submit tax payments for all departments to the SD Department of Revenue
- Assist with all audits and annual report information for Finance Officer and city auditors
- File and organize information and documentation on a daily basis
- Assist in maintaining current and accurate record of all fixed assets of the City of Brandon
- Assist in tracking annual changes, additions and deletions
- Open and sort mail; stamp and deliver to city personnel; prepare out-going mail; take to post office
- Answer phone and respond appropriately to caller and visitor inquiries; assist walk-in customers
- Track motor vehicle registrations; process vehicle and building claims; submit to insurance
- Assist in handling special assessments; project books; council set-up and recordings; board of equalization
- Assist with elections; track beer and liquor licenses
- Take reservations for block parties, park events, picnic shelters, picnic tables, etc.
- Assist with Pool software – updating fees, lessons annually/assist with selling passes
- Assist Summer Rec and Pool management with supplies, ordering, etc.; help with Christmas Party
- Track and order supplies as needed; maintain files, records, documents
- Post items to city website/social media
What you need to have!
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must have at least 3 years of advanced accounting or bookkeeping experience
- Strong PC skills, including Microsoft Office required
- Courteous and professional customer service skills required
- Friendly and professional telephone skills required
- Strong knowledge of office practices, procedures, and equipment required
- Documented working knowledge of software platforms such as business/department management or recreational management products with POS and experience at a level which includes loading and updating content and data strongly preferred
What we offer you!
Excellent compensation and benefits which include health & dental insurance, paid vacation and sick leave plus participation in the South Dakota Retirement System! If interested, please apply to join our team as our Assistant Finance Officer!